In a significant development for the healthcare sector in Nigeria, President Tinubu has approved a new salary structure for health workers, aimed at improving their compensation and ultimately bolstering the country’s healthcare system.
This comprehensive review comes as a result of the diligent efforts of the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission, which has been working to address the long-standing issues of remuneration and allowances for health workers in the Federal Public Service.
Confirmation by the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission
The new salary structure for health workers was officially confirmed by Mr. Emmanuel Njoku, the Head of Information at the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission. This assurance not only underscores the credibility of the new policy but also provides a ray of hope for health workers across Nigeria.
Background and Review Process
The journey to this new salary structure began with the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission conducting a comprehensive review of the Health Sector Salary Structures.
The aim of this review was to address the long-standing disparities and inadequacies in the compensation of health workers, who play a pivotal role in the nation’s healthcare delivery system.
Key Highlights of the New Salary Structure
- 25% Adjustment in Peculiar Allowance for Medical and Dental Doctors: One of the most notable changes in the new structure is the 25% adjustment to the peculiar allowance for Medical and Dental Doctors working in hospitals, medical centers, and clinics within the Federal Public Service. This adjustment aims to acknowledge the specialized skills and responsibilities of these professionals.
- Quarterly Accoutrement Allowance: In a separate circular, it was announced that the Federal Government has granted the payment of a quarterly Accoutrement Allowance of twenty-five thousand Naira (N25,000:00) to Medical and Dental Doctors in the Federal Public Service. This allowance, which will be paid from the overhead budget, is effective from 1st June 2023. This addition to their compensation package further recognizes the financial challenges health workers face.
- Upward Review of Consolidated Health Salary Structure: Perhaps the most significant change is the upward review of the Consolidated Health Salary Structure. As a result, health workers on Grade Level will now earn N45,000 per annum, while those on Grade Level 15 will earn N6,315,091 annually. This substantial increase reflects the government’s commitment to aligning healthcare compensation with the responsibilities and skills required in the sector.
Impact on Health Workers and the Healthcare System
The new salary structure marks a turning point for health workers in Nigeria.
It is expected to have several positive outcomes:
- Improved Motivation: Higher salaries and allowances will motivate health workers to perform at their best and continue providing quality healthcare services.
- Retention of Talent: This new structure may help retain experienced professionals in the healthcare sector, reducing the brain drain that has affected Nigeria.
- Enhanced Healthcare Services: By addressing long-standing issues of inadequate remuneration, the new structure can lead to improved healthcare services across the country, benefiting both patients and healthcare professionals.
- Investment in the Future: A well-compensated healthcare workforce is crucial for Nigeria’s long-term health goals, and this new structure is a step toward attracting and retaining skilled professionals.
The approval of the new salary structure for health workers in Nigeria represents a significant leap forward in the quest for a robust and effective healthcare system.
The dedication of the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission, coupled with President Tinubu’s support, indicates a commitment to recognizing the importance of health workers and addressing their financial concerns.
This landmark decision is a positive development not only for health workers but also for the entire nation as it moves closer to building a healthier, more prosperous future.
Do you enjoy reading our post?. Let us know in the comment section.
Adeyinka is the founder and content creator at Career Acada. He’s a technology expert and web developer. He holds a degree in Genetics and loves impacting life for a better society.