Apply for University Of Nottingham Offers PhD in Engineering
The University of Nottingham offers PhD Studentship in Engineering to highly talented students. This project will include the payment of tuition fees as well as a stipend equivalent to RCUK rate
Pile installation is a complicated, energy-intensive process where codes and regulatory standards provide some guidance, but little is understood about coupling and transmission of pile driving energy into and through the ground in the form of vibrations. These vibrations can cause direct structural damage and damage due to settlement of granular soils.
This project aims to:
- Validate a Finite Element code based on ground vibration monitoring data from full-scale and reduced-scale pile driving tests
- Supplement the existing data with experimental testing to be conducted at the Nottingham Centre for Geomechanics’ centrifuge
- Characterize the pile driving vibration environment
- Develop a formula predicting the energy dissipation into the ground
The deadline for applications is March 07 2021
- Applicants should have, or expect to obtain, a 1st class or 2.1 honours degree (or international equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or a related subject. A relevant Master degree in these areas would be advantageous.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence to meet the University’s minimum English Language requirements.
- Students with experience or a willingness to learn software such as MATLAB, Plaxis and Abaqus are encouraged to apply.
- Due to funding restrictions, this position is only available for UK or EU candidates.
Eligible for Home / EU candidates. This project will include the payment of tuition fees and a stipend equivalent to RCUK rates (currently at £15,009 p.a. tax-free for 2019/20) awarded to the suitable candidate.
Informal contact can be sent to Dr Athina Grizi (A.Grizi@nottingham.ac.uk) before submitting an online application. Please send a cover letter and a copy of your CV with your up to date relevant experience.
Online application can be made via http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/how-to-apply/how-to-apply.aspx. Please quote the studentship reference and Dr Athina Grizi.
When applying for this studentship, please include the reference number (beginning ENG) within the personal statement section of the application. This will help in ensuring your application is sent directly to the academic advertising the studentship.